|BADGE OF ARU ISLANDS|
The southern Aru is bordered by the Arafura Sea, the north and east are bordered by the southern part of the Papua Province. The west is bordered by the eastern part of Kei Besar island and Arafura sea. The District Aru Archipelago has 7 subdistricts, Kecamatan Pulau-pulau Aru with Dobo as its capital subdistrisct's, Kecamatan Aru Utara with Marlasi as its capital subdistrisct's, Kecamatan Aru Tengah with Benjina as its capital subdistrisct's, Kecamatan Aru Tengah Timur with Koijabi as its capital subdistrisct's, Kecamatan Aru Tengah Selatan with Longgar/Apara as its capital subdistrisct's, Kecamatan Aru Selatan with Korpuy as its capital subdistrisct's and Kecamatan Aru Selatan Timur with Koljurin/Meror as its capital subdistrisct's.
Aru Archipelago consists of morethan 800 islands inhabited by 90.037 people (according to the 2009 cencus by Dinas Kependudukan dan Catatan Sipil Kabupaten Kepulauan Aru). 89 Islands are not inhabited. Some big islands are Wokam, Kola, Kobror, Maekor and Trangan which are connected by narrow straights. The islands are flat, covered with mangrove swamps.
|MENJAMU DAN SAMBUTAN TAMU|
Most of the people live as fishermen and farmers. The main commodities of the Aru Archipelago are mostly marine products, pearls, pearl shell, trepang, and some variety of fis.
There are 16 language families and 2 big social life societies (Teon) those are “Ursia” and “Urlima”. “Ursia” owns north Aru area covering 90 villages, symbolized by “Shark”, while “Urlima” owns the southern part of Aru, covering 50 villages, symbolized by a “Whale”.
Since long time ago Aru archipelago has been known to be the home of the birds of paradise and the original land of the pearl. Both are much being interested. Aru Archipelago has been visited by the foreign traders since two and a half century after Christ. Their aim was to look for the bird of paradise for its beautiful feathers.
|GAIMAR VILLAGES PEOPLE|
|BIRD OF PARADISE|
|BENTENG KOTA LAMA|
Before the Europeans came, in 15th and 16 th century, the Maluku Archipelago were already being part of a well arranged regional system for the local inter islands trade on the eastern part in Indonesia. And the Aru islands were included in this system that can be seen by the trade stuffs at that time among others were sagoo, timber, birds of paradise, black cockatoos, white cockatoos, sea cucumber, green turtle shell and pearl. The imported items from abroad still kept till nowadays are silk, cymbals, and Chinese porcelain.
There are still some traditional ceremonies, such as :
- Wedding ceremonies (Jernin)
- The opening of the “Sasi”(harvest prohibition of certain products for a certain period of time)
- Kora-kora (long canoe) racing
- The traditional hunting feast/burning the bushes in traditional way (Darman Teltel)
The climate is influenced by the Banda Sea, Arafura Sea and Indonesian Ocean, also influenced by the Eastern part of Papua island and the northern part of Australia, that sometimes change the climate. The dry season is from April to October where the east wind blows. The east season means the east wind blows is from October to February and the sea is rough.
CULTURAL EVENTS :
1. Traditional boat race, on August, 10-18
2. The Harvest of Fish, on October
3. The Anniversary of Aru District, on January, 7
Many cultural performances will be performed during these events.
|BATU KORA BEACH, IN WAMAR ISLANDS|
Benjina and Maekor Island
Thousand hectares of mangrove forest are there in Benjina and there are also crocodiles. These Islands are the place where the pearls are being cultivated. It takes 2 hours by speedboat from Dobo to reach Benjina.
Enau and Karan Islands
|GREEN TURTLE EGGS (ENAU / ENO ISLAND)|
Enau and Karan Islands is a marine reserve, the largest nesting site for sea green turtles in Aru and the place where dugong is common. Dugong are now rare only some could be seen at a place called Dugong creek. In the moonlight before midnight one can watch lumbering black shapes of turtles emerge from the sea, crowling up the beach to lay their eggs on Enau islands. It takes appr. 5 hours by a chartered speedboat from Dobo to reach Enau and Karan Islands.
The Fauna in Aru Islands are Birds of Paradise, Wallaby, White Cockatoo with yellow crest, Red Cockatoo, Green Cockatoo, Black Cockatoo (King Cockatoo) with black crest, Black Cockatoo with red crest, Black Cockatoo with yellow crest, and deer spread over the islands.
|SUNSET IN TRANGAN ISLANDS|
WHERE TO STAY IN DOBO;
- Venesia Hotel, Jl. Kapitan Malaya, Dobo, Ph. 62-0917-21071
- Leo Hotel, Jl. mayor Abdullah 165, Dobo, Ph. 62-0917-21386
- Fanny Hotel, Jl. Siwalima, Dobo, Ph. 62-0917-21432
- Guest House Lima Saudara, Jl. Mutiara, Dobo, Ph. 62-0917-21262
- Sinar Harapan Hotel, Jl. Jalabil, Dobo
- Mazda Hotel, Jl. Cenderawasih Puncak, Dobo
- Cenderawasih Hotel, Jl. Kampong China, Dobo
- Valita Guest House, Jalan Cenderawasih, Dobo
- Suasana Baru Hotel, Jl. Ali Moertopo, Dobo
- Bank Pembangunan Maluku (BPDM) and the ATM Bersama, Jl. Kapitan Malongi 60, Dobo Ph. 62-0971-21144
- Branch Office of Bank Rakyat Indonesia (BRI) Jl. Kapitan Malongi, Dobo. Ph. 62-0971-21237
- Unit Office of Bank Rakyat Indonesia (BRI) and the ATM Bersama, Jl. Lukas Mairering, Dobo
There is no MONEY CHANGER Available on Aru Islands.
- Post Office, Jl. Mayor Abdullah, Dobo, Ph. 62-0917-21225
- Kantor Telekomunikasi (Telecomunication Office), Jl. Mutiara 142, Dobo, Ph. 62-0917-22100
- Telecommunication Office serves local calls as well as long distance calls.